Our green journey
Kurhotel Skodsborg is aware that sustainable transition takes time, that there is a process of learning, and that there will always be room for optimisation. Given our stunning location between forest and water, nature has always been a major part of our DNA, and the bedrock of Dr. Carl Ottosen’s beliefs about physical and mental health.
Fresh air, clean water, light, movement and nutritious food constitute a fundamental set of values for Kurhotel Skodsborg, making us forever dependent on nature. That is why it is vital for us to look after our planet and why we attempt to incorporate sustainability into every element of the hotel’s cycles and future: in everything from the food we serve in our restaurant to the way in which we use energy. Even though we are still evolving, we hope we can inspire others to embrace our process and the initiatives already up and running.
- Our laundry is eco certified, using only organic products and energy-saving washing programmes.
- We harvest rainwater, using it to water our plants and herbs garden.
- The water we serve is ordinary fresh, clean tap water, and we always advise everyone to drink water from the tap if possible. Instead of bottled water, recyclable bioplastic water bottles are available in our Spa Shop. They can be used again and again.
- We have drastically reduced the use of disposable plastic and product packaging, and our food is delivered in recyclable containers.
- We sort our waste into 12 categories and attempt to keep abreast of council requirements. Next year, for example, we will introduce a container for textile.
- To avoid food waste, in cooperation with BioTrans, we convert our bio waste into biogas.
From waste to gas
Danish organic foods
- We weigh our leftovers, so we can regulate and adjust portions and purchases as needed.
- More than 30% of the food we serve is organic and, whenever possible, comes from local Danish producers.
- The fish we serve is MSC certified. That means it is caught using certified, sustainable fishing, that it is not endangered, and no excessive fishing takes place that will prevent the stock from remaining healthy and productive.
Towards a greener future
In addition to optimising our water and food consumption, we have launched a range of sustainable initiatives that will contribute to Kurhotel Skodsborg’s green journey – and we have more initiatives in the pipeline. For example, we will reduce 30% of our CO2 emissions by 2030, and at least 5% of our food waste by 2025.
Our green values are always at the back of our mind, and our environmental certificates are evidence of some of the goals we have already achieved and what we are striving for going forward.
Green Key is the tourist industry’s international environmental certificate, given to companies that make a special effort to care for the environment.
Kurhotel Skodsborg has been a Green Key hotel since 2008. That means we are committed to upholding the strict environmental requirements and constantly initiating environmental improvements.
Bronze Organic Cuisine Label
Since 2021, our restaurant has had Danish bronze-level, organic label certification. The level (basic, bronze, silver or gold) is determined according to the percentage of organic foods the restaurant uses. Currently more than 34% of the foods used by Brasserie Carl are organic, and we are determined to get even better.
Green Restaurant Bronze
In May 2022, our restaurant was awarded a Green Key Green Restaurant - Bronze label. In addition to focusing on the use of organic foods and cleaning products, it also demands waste sorting, food waste management and cutting down on water consumption.
Kurhotel Skodsborg strives for the best results, and we are always happy to hear what you have to say about our green evolution. So, we hope you will share your ideas for new, sustainable initiatives with us, so our guests can continue to experience our special kind of totally simple luxury.